Minimal Recovery Skin RejuvenationHome » Services » Laser Skin Treatments » Laser Skin Resurfacing Nashville, TN » Minimal Recovery Skin Rejuvenation
Typically, patients with mild to moderate sun damage require only a single ablative fractional resurfacing treatment to achieve excellent results. Additional treatments are usually needed when treating patients with advanced scarring or severe sun damage.
Non-ablative Fractional Skin Resurfacing: (Affirm laser)
Non-ablative fractional skin resurfacing treatments performed with the Affirm laser produce gentle changes that can improve the appearance of sun damaged and scarred skin. Four to six treatments are needed to produce best outcomes. For this procedure, risks are low and the treatments can be performed in the office without anesthesia or sedation (in contrast to more aggressive resurfacing techniques). Non-ablative fractional resurfacing treatments can be safely performed on the face, neck, hands, arms and legs to treat discoloration, fine wrinkling and scarring. There is no downtime associated with a non-ablative resurfacing treatment; the skin will be pink in color, but makeup can be applied immediately
Pearl Laser Skin Resurfacing
The Pearl laser is a unique resurfacing device that is used to treat brown discoloration and improve skin surface texture. The Pearl resurfacing device targets the entire superficial layer of the skin. Recovery after Pearl skin resurfacing treatment is typically three to four days. Very little redness is produced, and fine lines and superficial brown discoloration are markedly improved. Due to its superficial nature, Pearl resurfacing treatment does not appreciably tighten the skin. Based on work done by Dr. Biesman, the Pearl laser may also function as a more aggressive fractional resurfacing device to produce tissue tightening, wrinkle reduction, and improvement in skin color and texture. Pearl resurfacing may be performed on the face, neck, chest, and hands in the office under topical anesthetic.
eMatrix Skin Resurfacing
One of the most recent advances in skin resurfacing is known as “sublative resurfacing”. Designed to fill a niche between ablative and non-ablative fractional resurfacing devices, the eMatrix™ uses radiofrequency energy to produce a fractional injury pattern to the skin. These treatments improve both wrinkling and brown discoloration of the skin giving it a healthier, more youthful appearance. In contrast to more aggressive resurfacing techniques, eMatrix treatments can be performed on the face as well the neck, chest, arms, and hands. Ideal candidates for eMatrix resurfacing are individuals with mild to moderate brown discoloration, skin wrinkling, or textural changes. Patients with acne scarring also respond very nicely to eMatrix treatment. The deeper eMatrix treatments may also be successfully used to treat acne scarring, especially in patients with skin of color who may be at higher risk of complications with ablative fractional resurfacing lasers. In contrast to more aggressive types of resurfacing, eMatrix treatments do not provide much tissue tightening. Three to four eMatrix treatments are generally required to obtain best outcomes.
EMatrix treatments only require topical anesthesia and take 30-45 minutes to perform in the office. Patients typically experience mild redness of the treated skin that lasts for a few days. Most patients return to their scheduled activities the day after treatment. Flaking of the treated area can persist for several days, but can be managed easily with moisturizer. There is typically no discomfort after eMatrix treatment, and makeup can be worn within a day or two after treatment. There is no discomfort during the recovery period. Multiple treatments are typically advised, spaced 3-4 weeks apart to give the skin time to fully recover.
Dr. Biesman performed extensive clinical research with the eMatrix sublative resurfacing device and helped define the techniques currently used to achieve optimal outcomes. Patient satisfaction following eMatrix treatments is very high.
- Non-ablative fractional skin resurfacing treatments are gentler to the surface of the skin while improving the look of fine wrinkles, brown discoloration, and scarring.
- Recovery time after non-ablative laser skin resurfacing treatments is minimal. The skin will be pink for several hours, but there is no crusting, blistering or downtime. Makeup may be applied immediately.
- 4-6 non-ablative laser skin resurfacing treatments are needed to produce best outcomes.
- Ablative resurfacing is a more aggressive treatment that removes the skin’s outer layers.
- Ablative fractional resurfacing treatments remove a fraction the outermost layers of the skin. This improves discoloration and fine wrinkles while still allowing for a relatively short recovery.
- Other ablative fractional resurfacing treatments may involve deeper layers of the skin. Deeper treatments produce more skin tightening, smoothing of deeper wrinkles and lines, and greater improvement in scars. These procedures have longer recovery times.
- Ablative laser skin resurfacing techniques smooth fine to moderately deep wrinkles, reduce brown discoloration, and improve acne or surgical scarring.
- 3-5 days of recovery time after less aggressive ablative fractional skin-resurfacing treatments.
- 7-10 days of recovery time may be required after more aggressive ablative fractional resurfacing.